Saturday, October 6, 2012

Happy Mad Hatter Day


"If you knew Time as well as I do," said the Hatter, "you wouldn't talk about wasting it. It's him."

Oh happiest of nonsense holidays! Today has been declared Mad Hatter Day, thanks to the 10/6 fraction on the Hatter's hat in the original Alice's Adventures in Wonderland illustrations. It's a day where silliness is allowed and tea parties can be endless with simply moving around the table. 

For me it's always a time to reflect on one of the most important books and authors to influence my own career. The Hatter embodies one of the key elements to the theme of the book that has always been central for me. He represents the absurdity of adults and adult conversation when viewed through the eyes of a child. One of the key themes of the book is how unfair rules set up by grown ups can be. This is a theme that I've focused on through the children's books I've written. As adults, if we can remain aware of this, it can go a long way in making us remember that there is a lot we can learn from children.


No comments:

Post a Comment