Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Replay it Again


One of the really fascinating aspects of working on a second draft is being able to replay scenes over and over. It's like a reoccurring dream, with the power to change it at will. The second draft, possibly even more than the first, is a process of asking what if? 

Like walking through rooms in a mad funhouse, I find myself stepping into each chapter and thinking what if this happens instead that. Of course, this happens in first drafts constantly. What makes it different in the revisions is that you can weigh the options based on everything that happens after, not just before. Therefore the decisions are more precise and the changes more focused. The major conflict for a writer, in my opinion, is having to courage to trust in those alterations. 

More than ever before, I'm finding this process to be extremely exciting. 


1 comment:

  1. Jael, I Love Zombie BlondesFebruary 17, 2010 at 11:10 PM

    Hello. I love Zombie Blondes, and you! I'm doing a biography on you at school and I was wondering if you could answer a few questions, tell me a bit about you? It's okay if you say no. Email me if you have the time;

    jael_stewart@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete