Monday, June 22, 2009

Weekend Music Roundup (Best of the last 4 Weeks)

I know I've missed that four weekends. The problem is that I listen to so much a week that when I miss one, it starts to get overwhelming. Then I miss two and forget. But I want to get back on track. So I've picked some of the highlights over the past 4 weeks to share. These are 4 star or better albums for me...so I recommend them highly.


Pandoras.box - barriers: This is in the same catagory as Mountain of One. It's another German band, neo-psyche record. I think the Germans are finally finding their musical niche.

The Duke & The King - Nothing Gold Can Stay: Just a great singer/songwriter duo, folk record in the style of Elvis Perkins (on my all time favs). 

Quad Throw Salchow - Speed: Very interesting post-punk record. Lots of great rhythms and I love the singer's voice. Just great rockin' weirdness.

TwinSisterMoon - The Hollow Mountain: The latest side project from the Natural Snow Buildings set. A wonderful mellow freak folk album, great for drinking tea.

Band of Skulls - baby darling doll face honey: I love this album. It's a great mash-up of lots of songs that all have that "this sounds like..." appeal. The sounds like ranges from Elliot Smith, to MGMT, to Verve. Not too shabby.

Sunset Rubdown - Dragonslayer: I was so relieved when I heard this and it was brilliant. The last SR album was a huge letdown for me. The s/t E.P. and "Shut Up I'm Dreaming" are some of my favorite albums and I love Spencer's work with Wolf Parade and Swan Lake. This is a return to form. A for Amazing.
Manic Street Preachers - Journal For Plague Lovers: The Manics new one...this is going to get its own post shortly, but I couldn't leave it off. It's a follow up of sorts to The Holy Bible (which came out 15 years ago and if you don't have it, you're collection is incomplete, plain and simple). I will talk in depth about later...but don't wait...get it now.

Kasabian - West Ryder Pauper Lunatic Asylum: The third effort from Kfasabian harkens back a little to the first in it's experimentation with sonic structures. Groovy...eerie...bitchin'

iron and wine - around the well: I have to admit I was a little weary of this double disc set of previous toss-offs. I loved the first I&W ep five years ago, and even the LP was great. I enjoyed the record with Calexico a little less...and then his subsequent work even less less. SO expectations weren't real high. Boy, was I off the mark. An hour an half of similar sounding songs and I didn't tire of it once. If you don't know his work, this ain't a bad place to start.
Dead Confederate - Wrecking Ball: From Athens, GA this band has that dirty Nirvana sound (not the polished Nirvana imitation sound that pollutes the airwaves). It's grimey, it's loud, and it's great.
Holly Golightly and the Brokeoffs - Dirt Don't Hurt: Holly's best known as a garage rocker (famously appearing on White Stripes Elephant) But this album takes on a more country sound...but garage country...with a Ralph Stanely vibe. 

Ray's Vast Basement - Starvation Under Orange Trees: Songs based on Steinbeck stories (as the more literati of you may have gathered from the title) this was a great find. It's got a Woody Guthrie mixed with freak folk sound. Very americana but for the 21st century.

Flower Travellin' Band - Satori: A heavy prog/psyche band hailing from 1970 Tokyo. This was given to me by a friend and it totally blew my mind. A must for any fan of heavy 70's rock.

Circulatory System - Signal Morning: This is the first album in a few years by this collaborative band featuring members of Olivia Tremor Control and Neutral Milk Hotel. A very satisfying listen for any fans of those two bands. If you don't know those bands however...skip this and get OTC's Black Foliage or anything by NMH.

The Monkees - Pices, Aquarius, Capricorn & Jones, LTD.: I've been wanting this since last fall when I was playing the Monkee's Head album over and over. Fellow Monkees fans were telling me to get this one too. I found it on vinyl in the $1 bin at the local shop and what a steal. This record is amazing. I've always been fond of saying that nobody sounds like the Kinks (their '60s stuff). Well, I finally found something that does. 

3 comments:

  1. the circulatory system album is incredible. also enjoyed the iron and wine collection...his voice makes anything listenable really. the kasabian record was so so, unmemorable but you don't need to turn it off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you listen to the Kasabian with headphones, I think you'll hear a lot going on under the main sound. I also like the Happy Mondays feel to the more driving tracks....but I can certainly see what you're saying.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oddly, i've been listening to some Happy Mondays recently - I got Pills, Thrills and Bellyaches..which I like.

    Also been really into the new Bibio album - Ambivalence Avenue; and Theo Angell - Tenebrae.

    As well, suprised by how good the new Dino Hr album is...

    ReplyDelete