Monday, June 15, 2009

Neglect


My blog is beginning to resemble my virtual baby....health, hunger, and happiness all in the red.

But the neglect stops now.

So, I've been working a lot of late. I've also been blogging (just not here). I'm writing a bunch of guest blogs for Tor.com that should appear in the next coming weeks. It's been a lot of fun writing for them. I've taken a Dr. Thompson gonzo approach. I'll post links once they're up.

In the meantime, I'm still plugging away at the 2nd/3rd draft of my novel and it's going really well. I've also got some interest on a new chapter book series. Right now I'm in the research stage. I went to the bookstore last week and picked up a bunch of things that had the feel of what I'm envisioning. I'm reading through those as I work out the storytelling style in my mind.


The first one that I read was Bunnicula by James Howe. This is a classic, but I'd actually never read it before. I read it one sitting and found it quite fun. The dog and cat characters are very authentic and complete with the quirks that make those animals so great for children's books. The two brothers were also hilarious characters and I almost wished there were more of their arguments. They reminded me a lot of the siblings in The Spiderwick Chronicles. I thoroughly enjoyed the book. In the beginning, I thought the choice of narration was going to be a problem (it was this older, wiser, voice) but it does an excellent job of adding just enough to show the voice isn't too wise. 

I'd give it 3 1/2 carrots out of 5 but the 8 year old inside me would give it 5 1/2 carrots out 4. 

2 comments:

  1. you never read bunnicula? first off all, true ballers know it by it's real title: "The Celery Stalks at Midnight"...I believe there was a sequel as well. I as well give it a shit load of carrots.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Celery Stalks at Midnight is actually one of the sequels...there's quite a few Bunnicula books...plus some spin-offs.

    I'd never read it before...only flipped through them when I worked at Scholastic. I had 100's of books to go through each month, so "reading" them all wasn't really an option.

    I'm glad I read it though. Though, I plan on making the book I'm working on be an easy 5 carrot.

    ReplyDelete