Monday, January 2, 2017

Star Wars: Rogue One


With the extra day off, I was finally able to get to the movies to see Star Wars: Rogue One. I'd planned to see it just before Christmas, but other obligations prevented me from making it. So when an opportunity presented itself last night, I jumped on it. 

Going into the theater, I wasn't sure what to expect. I was fairly certain that I would enjoy it. I've been a huge Star Wars fan since childhood. I have a rather large figure collection to this day. I enjoyed the prequels. I loved Clone Wars. I'm even a fan of the Ewok Adventure movies, the Ewok cartoon, and Droids. so there was no way that I wasn't going to enjoy it. The question was, would I appreciate it beyond the simple fact that it was an addition to the Star Wars universe, which is kind of how I felt about The Force Awakens

I have to admit that I like the fact that Rogue One doesn't fit directly into the trilogies. I like that it fills in a gap. It's like how they made three-part episodes of the Clone Wars, telling a short story that applies to the entire galaxy. It doesn't necessarily add story, it enriches story. This did a fantastic job of that. And they did a fantastic job of weaving it in with A New Hope. There is certainly the chance to do the same for period between Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi...maybe on Cloud City? 

It was also nice to get away from the traditional Star Wars narrative. The dialogue broke from the typical stiffness of some of the other films. The story was darker (and far more violent). This was a delight, and a movie that can be watched again without feeling the need to watch seven other parts before or after.


No comments:

Post a Comment