Thursday, February 20, 2014

Come As You Are


Today would've been Kurt Cobain's 47th Birthday had he not passed away twenty years ago. Even after all that time has gone by, I still find myself mesmerized by the music he left behind. No matter how many times I've heard each song, they always sound current and raw. Sometimes I like to imagine what the music he would have recorded would sound like today. Nirvana was in a period of change when he died, his last songs were taking off in a new direction, and I'm sure he would have continued to push his creative energies in interesting ways. 

As I get older, I find myself feeling the loss of people more intimately than I did when I was younger. Perhaps it's because I'm growing closer to the inevitable myself, or maybe it's simply because I've experienced more of life and realize how difficult it can be and the loss of anyone who brings comfort to those difficulties is more magnified. On some level I've always understood why Kurt took his own life, but understanding doesn't mean I don't wish there had been another outcome. Hopefully he was able to find peace in rest, and wherever his spirit is now, I'm wishing him a Happy Birthday.


No comments:

Post a Comment