Sunday, April 22, 2012

Weekend Music Roundup (Hollywood Edition)


Since I'm on the road this week and the next, I don't really have the time for a list of reviews. Instead, the next two weeks will be more of a journal of my record shopping experiences. One of things on the top of my list for every trip is record shopping. On this west coast swing, there are a number of amazing locations that I plan on visiting. 

The first stop in L.A. is home to one of my favorite record stores, Amoeba on Sunset. A trip there was the very first thing on my list upon venturing into the city. The last time I was in L.A. was before I was buying vinyl, so I didn't spend much of any time looking through the amazing vinyl collection they have to offer. This time it was the complete opposite...I spent the entire two plus hours digging through the stacks.


By the time I finished, I had a pile under my arm that was too much to carry. Choices had to be made. Selections had to be put back. In the end, this is what I ended up with. The true prizes being The Soft Machine's debut album, which I've had three dreams in the past couple years where I'd been searching for that album. Another was Appendix Out's first album for $7.99, which I own on CD but which is easily among my twenty five favorite albums of all time. Another was the Dwarves colored vinyl version of Fake I.D., limited to 1000 copies. Of course, they all have wait until later next week before I can listen to them, but what a week that will be. 

Next stop San Fran and another Amoeba and then onto Portland and Seattle...both prime record shopping cities. And the great thing is that the albums one finds on this coast vary a lot from the ones found on my coast. It's certainly going to be happy hunting.


No comments:

Post a Comment