Saturday, October 24, 2020

Weekend Music Roundup

 

The weekend is here again, and as promised, this week I'm taking a look at mostly new releases that I've been listening to over the past couple of weeks. This is a pretty even list of folk rock and rock rock, but with a recent jazz pick up thrown in the middle for good measure. There's some solid albums here, and a few that didn't quite grab me, but are sure to grab others. Enjoy.


Matt Berry - Phantom Birds: The new album from the London artist is his seventh, but my first introduction to him. This is psychedelic folk and a throwback to a lot of lesser known artists of the late 60s and early 70s, the kind of artists that I love. There's a purity and honesty that makes this record really stand out.  "Phantom Birds," "You Danced All Night," "Moonlight Flit," and "Covered in Clowns" are personal favorites on this fantastic record. 

 

Bright Eyes - Down in the Weeds, Where the World Once Was: It's been 9 years since Conor Oberst has released an album under the Bright Eyes band name, though he's released many solo efforts that don't differ much. I've been a fan since they came up in '98 and have been looking forward to hearing this album which was released in August. This is standard Conor, with heartfelt honesty in the lyrics and delivery, and subtly complex chamber folk arrangements. I love his music, but if I have one complaint, it's that there is little to distinguish one album from the next. But that's okay, especially when you're this good.  "Mariana Trench," "Persona Non Grata," "Dance and Sing," "Stairwell Song," and "Comet Song" are my personal favorites. 

 

Swans - To Be Kind: It's not all that often than a band's most popular album is their 14th album that came out 30 years after their debut, but that's what this is. The no-wave NYC band had been part of that scene through the 80s, but by 2013, they'd evolved into an amazing experimental post-rock band. There's a reason this is the #1 highest rating album for 2014 on RateYourMusic. I'd heard the album back then, and enjoyed it, but it wasn't until now that I truly get it. I found a used copy of the vinyl for cheap and when I put it on, it was a whole different experience from the one I remember. This isn't what I was feeling back then, but this is what I'm feeling these days. It's the soundtrack to the kind of dreams that come to me during every New Moon. 

 

Wayne Shorter - Second Genesis: Originally recorded in 1960, but remained unreleased until '74, this is from the early days the saxophonist's rise. He'd recently become part of Art Blakey's Jazz Messengers when this album was recorded. (Blakey plays drums on this album). This is hard-bop gold, but flavored with a cool jazz vibe. Given those are two of my favorite genres, this is truly an album that speaks to me. It also shows the earliest signs that Wayne would move into jazz fusion, which would eventually lead to his '70s powerhouse outfit Weather Report. "The Albatross" and "I Didn't Know What Time it Was" are simply beautiful. 

 

The Cuckoos - Honeymoon Phases: The new album from the Austin indie band is an interesting combination of gothic glam and electro dance. It kind of like The Kooks if they were fronted by Peter Murphy of Bauhaus. There were moments when I found this clash of sounds to be inspiring, and other moments where I was left tilting my head and wondering what they were thinking. Either way, I applaud the guys for trying something different. It opens with two great tracks, "Weekend Lover" and "I'll Be Ur Tramp." Then it kind of tapers off, but still worth a listen as I know there are others out there who will love it more than me.

 

JunkBunny - Down the Rabbit Hole: The second EP from the Texas trio is very much a throwback to 90s alternative. It's power pop punk riffs and youth yearning lyrics would have fit right in with the mainstream of indie rock in '95. That said, it's not a genre that I long for in any way. There were tons of middle of the road bands back then on any number of a dozen labels, and these guys would fall into that category. It's not that it's bad, just not all that interesting. Fans of early Green Day might dig this.


No comments:

Post a Comment