Friday, October 30, 2020

My Vote is Cast

 

I voted today. This is the first year that New York has early voting, and I took advantage of it and did my civic duty today. I strongly believe in the power of voting and have voted in every election since I turned 18, not just every four years and not just national elections. I get the disillusionment that many feel, but the system is counting on your continued disillusionment which is why voting is important.

This year I voted for Joe Biden and the other Democratic party candidates, but I voted for them on the Working Families line. Though I'm a registered Democrat, I only registered as one in 2015 in order to vote for Bernie in the primaries. I've voted for Democrats in every election, but hold no illusion that the party represents my interests. 

This year, it was especially important to me that I voted on a third party line, even if it was for a candidate of the Democratic party. It may seem like forever ago, but it was only back in Feb. that we say the party manipulate the process to get their moderate on the ticket and squash the progressive movement. By voting on the Working Families line, it is my way of letting them know that they need to honor the progressive agenda if they want to continue to count on my support. 

No comments:

Post a Comment