Saturday, July 25, 2020

Weekend Music Roundup




It's that time once again. This week's roundup is mostly new albums that I've been listening to over the past few weeks. There's some dynamite albums on here, including one of the best albums I've ever heard. There's some new stuff by old favorites, and also an album from a terrific new band that I hadn't heard before. There's also an oldie but goodie that I recently was able to pick up. Mostly rock stuff here. Enjoy.

Jason Molina - Eight Gates: This archival release is the first album to be released since Jason passed away seven years ago. He was the first real influential person in my life to die after my father, and it broke me up. It's only time I think I wept for an artist before. Songs: Ohia and Magnolia Electric Co. made so many albums that have spoken to me a deeper level than almost anything else. This album is bleak and beautiful and represents a proper closing chapter to his wonderful career. Not much to say except that this is a haunting masterpiece.

Black Ends - Stay Evil: The newest EP from the Seattle indie band is one of the best sounds I've heard out the great Northwestern town since Nacho Picasso. This definitely has roots in the underground vibe that Seattle as always had. This brave and goes in surprising directions, reminding me of the most psychedelic of the late 80's early 90's bands. "Monday Mourning" and the title track are amazing. My only complaint is that it's only four tracks long. I'm definitely going to explore their other EPs on their Bandcamp site.

The Bonnevilles - Meet the Bonnevilles!: Released in 1962, this Milwaukee band is one of those early rock 'n roll bands that was built on back beat. This is a rare record, one that I'd searching for, mostly because of 12 year old Wendy Colby's dynamic vocals on two tracks. It's usually very pricey, ranging around $100, but I found a very nice copy priced at $20 and snatched it up. Beyond Wendy's tracks, it's pretty solid early beat stuff. A nice addition to the collection.

Sea Wolf - Through a Dark Wood: It's been six years since the L.A. indie band last released anything. This is the band's fifth album and came out this past Spring. There blend of indie rock mixes folk influences with indie pop and definitely feels born out of the late 00's along with bands like Wolf Parade, Sunset Rubdown and The Dears. Despite the long lay-off, this album picks up right where they left off and stands as their most complete work to date.

Brendan Benson - Dear Life: It's been seven years since the Detroit native's last solo album, but fresh off a year of Raconteurs success, he's returned with his seventh solo record. This is more like his songs on Raconteurs last album than he previous solo stuff. A lot of power pop rock riffs and his usually musings about life. His confidence shine on this record. He's a professional, and perhaps that one thing it suffers from...it's polished. But still, a decent album with some decent songs. "I Can If You Want Me to," and "Good to Be Alive" are personal favorites. 


No comments:

Post a Comment