Monday, July 6, 2020

I Know This Much is True




While so much remains unknown about COVID-19, I think it definitely be said that it has been good for binge watching...as least for a lot of us. Having finished True Detective and waiting for the new season of Dark, we dove into HBO's adaptation of Wally Lamb's I Know This Much is True. This was a project that most people around here knew about, seeing as it was shot in my town and neighboring towns, despite being set in western Connecticut.

This is not an uplifting story, but it's a powerful one. Mark Ruffalo plays twin brothers, one who suffers from paranoid schizophrenia and another who suffers from a savior complex. These identical twins are both tortured souls, but whose pain is far from identical. It's a story about how the mistakes of the past are often connected with the struggles of the present. It's about forgiveness, not only of others, but of your own failings.

I admit to having never read the book, though it has always been one of those books that I've looked at, so I cannot compare it to the book. But as a mini-series, it was very moving. One of the biggest surprises for me was Rosie O'Donnell, an actress whose work I rarely care for. She was absolutely brilliant in this, and I've gained a completely new respect for her.

No comments:

Post a Comment