Saturday, July 18, 2020

Weekend Music Roundup



The weekend is here and we're right in the thick of summer up in the Hudson Valley with the mercury burning around 90 for the next several days. Though I hate that weather, the plus side is records spinning, volume blazing, and windows open so that my good musical taste is forced upon the neighbors. This week features a couple of new releases, and a bunch of recent acquisitions, mostly of newer stuff. It's mostly rock on here, with one jazz record. There's a full on Jazz roundup coming soon...so you've been warned. Enjoy.

Liam Gallagher - MTV Unplugged: Released last month, this is the recording of the Manchester show that aired last fall. It was one of those triumphant hometown returns that see a superstar once again claiming his throne. Liam has been on a skyward trajectory since his first solo album a few years ago, and the wonderful follow-up last year. Taking solo songs, and Oasis songs and doing them acoustically, what could go wrong. "Sad Song" is a highlight for me, since it was a song that only Noel had sung previously.

Built to Spill - Plays the Songs of Daniel Johnston: For their first album in five years, the iconic indie band released this album of covers of songs by the late Daniel Johnston. Though recorded in 2018, Johnston passed away last Fall. This is a wonderful tribute and they play these songs with a soft sensibility that feels right, and which has always suited them as well. There's a Buddy Holly simplicity and beauty to these songs that I really enjoy. "Honey I Sure Miss You," "Good Morning You," "Heart Mind and Soul," and "Fish" are personal favorites.

Green River - Rehab Doll: The only full length album released by the Seattle band featuring members who would go on to form Mudhoney and Pearl Jam came out in 1988 and one the founding bands of what would grow into the "grunge" movement. The title track is a blueprint for rock music that would emerge over the next five years, while also showing the influence of glam punk on what would become grunge. There's a sleaze element to the guitar and strained vocals. Had this band not splintered into two of the bigger bands of the scene, surely they would have been in the forefront of the coming rock revolution.

Balloon Pilot - Blankets: I know very little about this German indie band except that this is their second album, released this year. Their previous album was released eight years ago. I'm sure the story of what happened between those two is quite interesting. I gave this a listen on a whim and I'm glad I did. I suppose you could call it indie-pop, though that label is used so often these days, it's hard to define. This isn't happy pop, there is a dreary cloud that hangs over it, reminding me of some great albums from the late '90s early '00s by bands like Medal, Haven, Travis and Starsailor. This falls into that category and it was a perfect soundtrack for my rainy winter morning drives. "My Biggest Aim," "Here Goes My Sleep," "Your Eyes," and "You'll Be a Part of Mine" are my personal favorites.

Pat Metheny & Lyle Mays - As Falls Wichita, So Falls Wichita Falls: Released in 1981, this still has that "last gas of the 70s" feel to it, but I mean that in a good way. It's a new age-y jazz fusion album that seems to tap into 70s sci-fi themes. The title track, which takes up the entire first side of the record, has an eerie film score feel to, and I found myself transfixed. The second side is a little more upbeat, but has darker, contemplative moments that make it less adult-contempo than Pat sometimes can feel. Very nice relaxing album.

Electric Acid - TrouperspHEARe: The debut album from the German rock band was released back in January. This is clearly inspired by 70s hard rock, with its heavy blues feel. It reminds me of early Heart, and not simply because it features female vocals, but also its Zeppelin sound. This is a solid okay in my book and worth a listen, but definitely not anything that leaves a lasting impression. "That's Gettin' Me Down," and "The Stray" are my favorites. 

No comments:

Post a Comment