Friday, February 7, 2020

Enter the Dragon


I've recently taken the plunge into the world of Dungeons & Dragons. Now, this is a world that interested me back in Middle School, but one which I didn't truly explore until a few months ago, and it began with a project for work. One of the great things about my job is that I get to research and participate in things that I otherwise would avoid. This certainly falls into that category.

After hearing about other libraries having success in creating D&D clubs for teens, I decided to pursue it. I put up a flyer soliciting basic interest and had a few kids add their names. When we held our first meeting to create characters, I was expecting four people...fourteen showed up. Needless to say, having never played, let alone been a Dungeon Master, I felt a bit overwhelmed. But never one to back down from a creative challenge, I went ahead. After all, I figured if children can play it, so can I.

After many YouTube tutorials and extensive reading, I held our first dungeon crawl about a month ago. Although I was winging it, I pretty much nailed it. Tomorrow, I'm holding our first campaign (the group has since been split, so I have a manageable number of players).  I feel prepared, and by that, I feel prepared for the unpreparable as D&D often becomes.




No comments:

Post a Comment