Saturday, September 7, 2019

Weekend Music Roundup


The has arrived and so I bring you more ramblings about my adventures in the world of music listening. I've been still enjoying a long list of new releases and share some of those with you as well. I've also has some vinyl shopping days of late and found many great things. Those I'm sharing as well. This is a pretty broad mix of rock so hopefully something interests you. Enjoy.

Clinic - Wheeltappers and Shunters: The eighth album from the Liverpool psychedelic dance punk outfit is their best since 2008's Do It! There are few bands that do this genre well, and they are one of them. They came around when there were other bands doing this, The Rapture, Cooper Temple Clause, and Death from Above and this album sees them return to the chaos that defined their best work. "Rubber Bullets," "Laughing Cavalier," "Ferryboat of the Mind," "D.I.S.C.I.P.L.E.," "Flying Fish," and "Rejoice" are standouts on a wonderful record. 

The Nice - Ars Longa Vita Brevis: The second album from the London psych band released in '68, a few months after their debut. The band would release one more album the next year before disbanding. My copy is the Columbia extended version that features a few bonus tracks, released in '73. Definitely inspired by Syd era Pink Floyd, this is that early psych sound that mixes pop with the bizarre. "Daddy Where Did I Come From," "Happy Freuds," are standouts on the first side, while the entire second side of the album contains the epic title track with is a wonderful freak-out in five movements. 

Summer Cannibals - Can't Tell me No: This is the fourth full length album from the Portland band, and their first in three years. This is my first encounter the band. This is straight up indie rock with strong female vocals. There's some link to 90s Rrriot Grrl bands, but that sound is mixed with the current indie pop sound to create something both nostalgic and contemporary. "Behave," "One of Many," "Start Breaking," "Spin," and "Into Gold" are my personal favorites. 

Slade - Slade Alive!: Released in '72, nine months before their breakout second LP, this stellar live record captures the glam band right as they were poised for takeoff. They are raw and determined and it shows. They were a band that knew where they were going, and in that sense they remind me of Oasis, who always knew they were going to be huge simply because they believed they were the best. I'd been on the hunt for some Slade vinyl and was shocking having a hard time finding any, then I did. "In Like a Shot From My Gun," "Know Who You Are," "Keep on Rockin" and the Loving Spoonful cover "Darling Be Home Soon" are standouts. 

Foreigner - Foreigner: The 1977 debut from the NYC hard rock band blends pop rock with the remains of space rock and prog elements which were already on the decline at the time. The combination is what made this album click with many listeners at the time and is also what makes still interesting to listen to now. "Starrider," "Cold as Ice," "The Damage is Done," "Long, Long Way From Home," and "At War with the World" are my personal favorites on this great rock record.



No comments:

Post a Comment