Saturday, September 28, 2019

Weekend Music Roundup


It's that time again, weekend time. I've been spending most of this week listening to Liam's new album, but have found time for a few other things. However, most of this week is stuff that I've been grooving to over the past few months, with the exception of the first album on the list, which is was new this week, and captivating. There's a broad range on here, with a lot less "rock" than usual. Hopefully there's something here you want to take a closer listen to. Enjoy.
Lana Del Rey - Best American Record: CORRECTION: I had originally posted a review of Lana's new album, but realized I was actually reviewing this newly released bootleg. So my review as false. These are a lot demos, and I really enjoyed it. I'm yet to listen to her new record, so I will have hold my thoughts.

(ORIGINALLY POSTED THIS REVIEW: The fifth solo album since reinventing herself as Lana, this is my favorite of the NYC native, L.A. transplant, artist since 2014's Ultraviolence.  To be clear, I enjoyed both her albums that followed, but couldn't connect to them in the same way as I did to her first two. No such problem with this one. I can see maybe why her "heartbreak" aurora might wear on people a bit, and by all means, this is another story of a heartbroken girl, but she does it so well and more importantly, still makes you believe it and feel it)

The Bluebells - Cath: This is an early EP from the UK jangle pop band, released in 1983, a year before their debut, which would feature this single. This is a preview of bands that would emerge from the UK in second half of the 80's. It's the beginnings of indie rock over there, moving away from new wave, punk, goth, hard blues, and other dominant rock styles of the time. This is four really good songs by a band that never really found stardom. 

Eddie Money - Life For the Taking: Released in '78, one year after his break-out debut, this the second album from the NYC rocker. His sound was always very solidly FM rock radio, but he was a master of the genre. I was a fan of his during childhood and rediscovered his music about ten years ago. With his passing fresh on my mind, I picked up this album recently. It was missing from my collection and is another solid rock record. He's one of those artists who know what he was and didn't try to be anything other than that, and that's where his true cool comes from.


blur - live at the bbc: Recorded in '94, this four song archival EP was just released and of course I had to by it for the Missus whose favorite band is blur. As with all Live at the BBC albums, the quality is amazing. Bands really seem to bring their best when recording live there, especially British bands who know the importance. Includes the mega-hit "Boys and Girls" and three other lesser known, but no lesser brilliant songs.

Pat Metheny Group - Pat Metheny Group: Released in 1978, this is the first Pat album to be released under the Group moniker. Metheny is one of the pioneers of the ECM jazz movement, which emerged in the late 70's from jazz fusion, and is seen as a split from the free jazz of the era. Contemporary jazz has never really been my thing, as it often veers into easy listening, but as with any genre, when a great musician takes it on, it's worth hearing. This is the kind of super mellow album that is great for an early morning listen. It has a warm, peaceful 70's sound and just feels...right. 

Talking Heads - Little Creatures: This is the sixth album from the iconic post-punk new wave icons. Released at the height of their mainstream popularity, this album still holds true to their early sound, and features some of their biggest hits, such as "She Was" and "Stay Up Late." I've recently been into this band, so it was good fortune that this album came to me through the generosity of a friend recently. David Byrne's gift has always been being able to make the bizarre incredibly appealing to the masses. In addition to the hits, other great tunes on here are "Give Me Back My Name," "The Lady Don't Mind," and "Television Man." 

No comments:

Post a Comment