Saturday, May 25, 2019

Weekend Music Roundup!


Memorial Day weekend has arrived, the unofficial start of summer. Now, it's not secret that summer is my least favorite time of year, but oddly enough, it's always been a great time of year for music. There's something about listening to music when the breeze is blowing, or when your hanging outside complaining about the heat. This week I'm sharing a bunch of new releases that I've been digging, as well as some older records I've recently been turned onto in various ways. Take the extra day this weekend to listen to some music. Enjoy.

The Flaming Lips - King's Mouth: Music and Songs: The new album from the neo-psychedelia pioneers is my favorite of theirs since 2013's The Terror. Perhaps because it's relatively short compared to some of their other works, it seems more accessible.  It's also more heartfelt than any release they've done this decade. Definitely one of their best in my opinion. "The Sparrow," "How Many Times," "Mouth of the King," and "Giant Baby" are my personal favorites.


A.A. Bondy - Enderness: In the '90s, Bondy fronted a criminally unheard band named Verbena before it sputtered out after three albums. He released his first solo record in 2007, and there was an instant love for it on my part (though, at that time, I was unaware of his connection to the beloved band since he had changed his stage name). This is his fourth solo album, and first in 8 years, and it's fantastic. Easily his best work since the solo debut. He's moved beyond the contemporary folk of that record and is exploring a more indie pop sound, yet still infused with his americana sound, reminding me of Jim James' solo records. 

LáGoon - The Unwelcome: This is the debut album from the Portland based heavy psych band. There's a clear affinity to other bands in the genre like Uncle Acid and feels reminiscent of that band's debut with lots of eerie tones and heavy riffs. But there's also a link to other heavy bands from the Pacific Northwest, bands like Green River and other early Seattle bands. It's unpolished to be sure, but that's not always a bad thing. The rawness of this is what makes it stand out. A very promising start and I look forward to what comes next. The title track, along with "Wheel Bite," "Chop City," and "Alligator (In Your Head)"are my favorites. 


Elton John - "friends": Released in 1971, just as Elton was reaching his peak, this soundtrack album was the last of early Elton records that was missing from my collection. A few weeks ago, I took a drive to pick up a box of free records and was thrilled to find a beautiful copy of this record in it. This is a bit of a lost album of his, partially because it's a soundtrack and contains quite a few instrumental score tracks (which were written by Elton and Bernie). I think the fact that it's not on his label is another reason it doesn't get attention, but the songs he sings on are as good as anything on Tumbleweed Connection. Definitely worth adding to the catalog of Elton records up to and including Blue Moves

Murder By Death - Who Will Survive and What Will Left Be Left of Them?: Released in 2003, this was the gothic indie band's breakout album, and perhaps their best (along with In boca al lupa). I've had this on CD for over ten years, but recently came across the 2013 vinyl pressing used and decided to upgrade. Having not listened to it in a bit, it was like a revelation when I put it on and remember just how great this record is.

Fiona Apple - Tidal: The infinitely eclectic NYC and notoriously media shy artist's debut album released in 1996 immediately projected her to stardom. In the 25 years since, she has released only three more albums, the last one coming seven years ago. That was the album that really introduced her to me when it came out, and I can't believe it's taken me this long to get around to her first record which is absolutely wonderful. Sure, I knew the popular songs, but every song on here is good and it's an album that deserves to be heard in full. I'm really late to this one, but glad I finally found it.

No comments:

Post a Comment