Friday, March 29, 2019

Fiction Friday (77)


My goal to read more is still a goal that I'm working hard on trying to accomplish, which isn't always easy. One thing that has helped has been my re-discovery of the library several years ago, which has allowed me to broaden my scope beyond the piles of unread books in my office. A few weeks, when browsing with my daughter, I came across this book whose cover caught my eye, and whose description kept my attention. The result was an absolute delight.

Nevermoor: The Trials of Morrigan Crow
by Jessica Townsend
(Little Brown, 2017)

In the capital city of an imaginary world, young Morrigan Crow is a cursed child, as are all children born on Eventide and doomed to die on Eventide. As a result, Morrigan's life is a rather miserable one. She is blamed for everything that goes wrong, and forced to write apology letters to those who feel their misfortunes are due to her. Her father, a prominent politician, is forced to make reparations all parties believed to be harmed by the cursed child, so needless to say, he and his new family, are looking forward to the next Eventide when they will be free of Morrigan and her crow.

As it turns out, Morrigan's life doesn't end on her 11th birthday, but rather, is just beginning. When a strange man sponsors her education and whisks her away, outracing the Hunt of Smoke and Shadow who have come to take her away, until they reach the magical city of Nevermoor where she is given the chance to join the prestigious Wundrous Society. Before she can join, she must pass four difficult trails, conquer her own self-doubts, and discover the greatness that lies inside her.

There is no doubt that this award-winning novel was inspired by Harry Potter. The story contains similar plot development and story trajectory, but certainly isn't a rip-off or a cheap duplication. This a fully imagined world, one that is very different than Hogwarts, but just as magical, adventurous, and dangerous. I actually connected to this book more than to Harry Potter, just because the imaginative elements synced with my imagination a little more precisely. 

Taking a brief intermission, and then starting to read the second book right away.



No comments:

Post a Comment