Saturday, March 18, 2017

Weekend Music Roundup


The week of the Blizzard has come to a close...with snow expected, of course. I spent this surprisingly wintry weekend listening mostly to dark music, as is my usual sound of choice in this weather. I also listened to my first new hip-hop album of the year, which was a good one. This was also a week of exploration with only one album on here being from an artist who I was familiar with prior to listening to the records on here. All in all, some good stuff. Enjoy.

Son Volt - Notes of Blue: When Uncle Tupelo split in 1994, its two songwriters went separate ways. Jeff Tweedy founded Wilco and Jay Farrar founded Son Volt. Not nearly as prolific as Wilco, this is their first record in four years, and only the third in the past ten years. However, Son Volt has stayed truer to the alt-country sound pioneered by Uncle Tupelo and this album takes it another step, set deep in the gothic country genre for much of the album. Certainly worthwhile and a welcomed return.

Son of the Velvet Rat - Dorado: The newest record from the Austrian folk band was released last month and it's quite good. It reminds me a bit of Bob Weir's latest with the earthy roots vibe that permeates throughout.Vocally, this is the closest thing to classic Dylan that I've ever heard. "Cooper Hill," "Blood Red Shoes," and "Love's the Devil's Foe" are standout tracks for me. Apparently the California desert was the inspiration for this album, and it has that desolate loneliness about it that makes it special.

Super Snake - Leap of Love: The NJ stoner rock band's debut album was released last month. I was attracted to this by the awesome cover and while it didn't live up to the brilliance of the artwork, it's pretty decent stoner rock. Definitely not essential, but certainly worth checking out if you're into the genre. Some highlights for me were "Lavish Sum of Dread," "Spirit Cave," and "Get Lost, Be Mine."

Your Old Droog - Packs: Released last week, this is the Brooklyn rapper's second album which comes three years after the debut (and quite a few EPs between). The appeal of Your Old Droog is his traditional flow and the way he keeps it real to classic 90's East Coast Hip Hop from the beats to the flow. Though respect is paid to the Old School, this still sounds fresh. "Winston Red," "Help," "I Only" and the fantastic "Rapman" are standouts for me.

Dusk - Dusk: The new album from the NJ rock band is one I listened to on a whim. I can't find out anything about this band due to the fact that there are a million bands named Dusk. This is metal with punk roots and has a decidedly late '90s or early '00s feel. Musically, it's pretty solid but the vocals, while not terrible, leave something to be desired. I'm assuming this is a debut record and if so, there's potential.  



No comments:

Post a Comment