Friday, April 8, 2016

Travels in Interzone


My dreams of late have been highly evolved, often having me traverse large regions of the Interzone. I've come across sections both familiar and previously unexplored. During my waking hours, when thinking about these recent travels, I've found myself recalling various dream locations, some of which are from dreams I had years and years ago. 

Given the nature of dream logic, it's never really easy to describe the plot in a coherent way. Many times the plot unravels before your very eyes while the dream is in production. The threads lead in different directions, pulling you along for the ride. While plot is usually fleeting, one thing that I find to be very vivid is location. Sometimes I can't remember what I was doing, but I can remember the house I was in, or the strange area of a city that never really existed but is rather a patchwork real and imagined places. 

The other day it struck me that some of these imagined elements most likely come from reading and the visual images conjured up from stories. It would explain the familiarity of the seemingly foreign. Not to mention the fact that I've encountered more unique places through reading, and the thousands of settings that I've written into existence, than I've been to in real life. I don't know why this never occurred to me before. It seems so obvious. Anyway, I've been enjoying thinking about it the past few days as I try to get a better understanding of the geography of Interzone.

No comments:

Post a Comment