Saturday, December 19, 2015

In a Dream Far, Far Away...


While I have not yet seen The Force Awakens, I've recently spent some time in a galaxy far away. On the night the new film opened, I dreamt that I was in Star Wars: A New Hope. I was Luke, which is unusual seeing as how Luke was never my favorite character, it was always Han...but if I'm being honest, I've always been more Luke than Han. 

In the dream, I was with Obi Wan on the Death Star. We were face to face with Darth Vader and Obi Wan was attempting to bring Anakin back from the dark side. He was telling Darth how he'd accomplished everything he set out to do, and asked if things were really any better. Eventually he convinced Darth that his path on the dark side was finished, and the two of them went off to deal with the Emperor. Meanwhile, I was to wait in disguise as a maintenance man on the Death Star, accompanied with droids. The whole time, I was kept thinking to myself, this isn't how it happened before, and the idea of seeing how an alternative Star Wars would play out was the most exciting thing. 

Unfortunately I woke up before the saga ended. But it certainly awakened the excitement for the new film, which had already been in full bloom. It just goes to prove what I've always said, that the stories that are inside of us are more interesting that the stories of our lives most times. Long live fiction.

No comments:

Post a Comment