Thursday, September 3, 2015

The Evil Things We Do....

One thing I've always been a little uncomfortable about is the evil things we do to our characters. As a writer, we send them into horrible situations, cause their lives to spin out of control, and often leave them without any hope of a happy ending. In the current draft of my seemingly never-ending novel, I've been set with the task of inflicting even more suffering on my already tortured Elizabeth. But perhaps the worst part, beyond the sorrow, is the fact that often these sadistic scenes are some of the most enjoyable to write. It could simply be the pleasure that one can find in a horror movie, but I actually think it's something more. By writing those scenes, we grow closer to our characters, we get to know them in a way that we seldom get to know real people.

No comments:

Post a Comment