Monday, April 13, 2015

When the Drums Cry...

Earlier today the Nobel Prize winning author Günter Grass passed away at the age of 87. His work was profoundly influential to my early development as a writer. I first encountered his work while attending NYU in the mid-90's. I read the The Tin Drum, not on assignment, and while reading probably five or so other assigned novels at the same time. Despite its girth, I devoured the story. The scenes played out in my imagination for weeks and months...from which the above illustration was born, drawn just days after finishing The Tin Drum. In the year that followed I quickly read the rest of the Danzig trilogy, which also blew me away. His approach to post-modern literature never forgot the importance of character, heart, and emotion. Another legendary voice has fallen silent, but his words will live on forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment