Sunday, March 31, 2013

Weekend Music Roundup - Jason Molina Edition



As I mentioned in the Roundup last week, Jason Molina, one of my favorite songwriters of all time, passed away on March 16th at the age of 39 after a long battle with alcoholism. Though that is tragically too soon, he left behind a brilliant catalog of music that dwarfs many artists even twice his age. 

Ever since the earliest releases as Songs:Ohia in 1997, Jason Molina seemed to be an endless well of amazing songs. His ability to capture sadness, despair, and hope in beautiful songs was unmatched. There are many influences one could point to in his music, from Neil Young to Uncle Tupelo, but there's an overwhelming honesty to Jason's songs that make them stand apart from any easy comparisons.

Over the past decade, I often found myself reaching for one of his albums whenever I was feeling blue, or pensive, or even just reflective on things gone-by. His music never failed to bring me comfort in those times. Upon hearing of his passing, I felt an incredible loss, as if a reassuring voice in my life had been silenced. May he find peace in rest and know that he will be missed.





My Jason Molina Catalog: No need to review them, they are all brilliant and worthy of owning.




No comments:

Post a Comment