Friday, April 17, 2009

I Love When It All Comes Together




As I've mentioned before, I've been working on a middle grade novel for the last several weeks and have recently passed the 200 page mark in the manuscript. The basics of the story were mapped out last Fall and as is my usual process, I've been working with an revisable outline as I've been writing. 


I'm entering the final stretch of the story and things are seemingly clicking effortlessly. There's times when a story takes on a life of its own as it unfolds. Certain aspects only become illuminated as you play out the story on paper. These are things that you might never have thought of in the outline stage. But then when they pop into you're mind, it's this incredible feeling of fate and you wonder how you envisioned it any other way. 


This is the way I usually tackle the final pull of a novel. I never like to settle it beforehand, because I trust the story to take me where it needs to go. It always does....but that doesn't lessen the excitement each time it happens. 

No comments:

Post a Comment