Sunday, April 5, 2009

Breakthrough

The last week or so, I've been challenged with coming up with an idea for my next novel. My editor and I have been discussing the project for some time and decided on doing something unconventional and eerie. 

I'm attracted the concept, having written 6 novels that are heavily based in realism. This new book will be more in the realm of Zombie Blondes. I'm eager to tackle the genre again, having learned lessons from my first attempt. 

I've been making a list of vague aspects and thoughts that have always intrigued me. Then last night, while reading, I had a sudden breakthrough. 

The new novel genre from France in the '50's and '60's has produced many of my favorite books, especially the works of Robbe-Grillet. One of the things he does so well is this idea of repetition, where scenes are repeated with slight differences. Though he does it for a different intent, I realized that with a lot variation, this technique could be used effectively in a supernatural way. A horror can easily be found in the loop of repetition. 
I'm happy to report that a story is beginning to unfold. I truly love these first moments of creation.

No comments:

Post a Comment