Saturday, November 7, 2020

Weekend Music Roundup

 

The weekend has returned, and around these parts, it's brought a return to warmer weather. Perhaps then it's fitting that this list features almost all new releases, and the kind of music that really speaks to me around this time of year. This features a few albums that I'm pretty certain will end up on my favorites for the year, and at least one that will end up as a big disappointment. Enjoy.


Big Blood - Do You Wanna Have a Skeleton Dream?: The newest album from my favorite psychedelic folk outfit out of Maine is yet another stunner. It opens with what is possibly their best song ever, "Sweet Talker" and just scorches from there. There are so many good songs on here, but "Insecure Kids" is heartbreaking and stunning. One of the things that I love about these guys is how every album feels different, though the undercurrent lets you know that it's them. As with all of their albums, it's fantastic.

Cut Worms - Every Once in a While: Though this Chicago band has been around for almost a decade, and despite being on one of my favorite labels, they escaped my atmosphere until recently. I checked out this EP first and fell in love immediately. Their alt country indie sound is downright perfect. They are also a band that feels so timeless, one that you could image generations have been listening to it. "Sold My Soul" is one of the best songs I've heard in a long time. Definitely a band I'm going to explore more of.

 

Lord Loud - Timid Beast: The second album from the L.A. noise rock band has a blues based garage sound. This is classic dirty rock with just the right level of feedback, riffs, and rancor for my taste. This isn't anything ground breaking, but has all the ingredients that make up a great rock record. "Lady Sunday," "Imaginary," "Wherewithal," and the title track are personal favorites.

Swans - The Glowing Man: Released in 2016, this is follow-up to the NYC post rock's celebrated 2014 album, "To Be Kind." I had recently picked up that record on vinyl, having had it digitally since it came out, and discovered I loved it more than I remembered. I came across a used copy of this one at the local shop and didn't want to miss it. As I expected, it's just as brilliant as it's predecessor. This moody kind of post-rock has been right in my headspace these days. It's six sides of eerie greatness. 


Marilyn Manson - We are Chaos: Thirty years into his career, the once world dominating shock rocker continues to release music, including this album, his first in three years. After a resurgence when Twiggy rejoined, his last two albums have seemed flat now that Twiggy is once again absent. It lacks the edge that makes Manson his best on his best albums. This isn't a bad album, it's just a watered down Marilyn Manson album. If I'm in the mood for Manson, this isn't the record I'm going to listen to.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment