Saturday, March 7, 2020

Weekend Music Roundup


The weekend has arrived, and in honor of springing ahead, I've decided to fall back and take a look a lot of albums from the '70s that I've been jamming to recently. I've also included two newer albums just to keep it current. Some of these are albums from bands I've followed for a long time, others are new to me and nice surprises. There's some dream pop, country rock, folk and jazz to keep the list intriguing. Hopefully there's something here you want to hear. Enjoy.

Shana Falana - Darkest Light: The first album in three years from the New York indie dream pop artist is another beautiful moody album. She takes a cue from 90s indie, using her beautiful voice in the background that drifts just above the wave of guitars, giving it a shoegazer feel while never losing track of melody and rhythm. In that way, she reminds me of PJ Harvey's work from that era. "Everyone is Gonna Be Okay," "Right Now is all We Know," and the title track are standouts. 

Michael Nesmith - Cosmic Partners: The McCabe's Tapes: Recorded in '73, this archival live set was recently released for the first time. After leaving The Monkees in '70, Nesmith embarked on a solo career that showcased his country roots. I've always been a believer in the Monkees and think they don't get the musical credit they deserve. They made some fantastic records. I knew Mike's hit "Joanne," but not much else of his solo work, so this was a great surprise. He's a talented country folk artist surrounded by talented musicians. A great collection of songs, and he's great at working the crowd with very funny banter. I will definitely keep my eyes open for any used Nesmith vinyl floating around.

Purple Mountains - Purple Mountains: This Chicago alt-country indie band seemed to come out of nowhere last year and surprise a lot of people. It was a band I missed until it starting showing up on year-end lists by a lot of people whom I respect. In a way, it's a group made of members of other groups, including Jermey Earl of Woods (a band I very much enjoy), and featuring the late David Berman, of Silver Jews. This reminds me a lot of Silver Jews, almost a revival of their sound, and quiet good. This has never been my ideal genre, but something that I can dig when I'm in the mood. I can see why so many people have enjoyed this album, it's a great last album for Berman to leave behind.

Sonny Criss - I'll Catch the Sun!: Released in 1969, right in the middle of the Memphis saxophonist's career, this is the tail end of the Hard Bop era, beginning of the Post-Bop era and shows the influence of soul music on jazz. This is a beautiful lazy afternoon kind of record, and the kind of jazz that brings me into its world. "Blue Sunset," "I Thought About You," and "California Screamin'" are standouts on this fantastic album. 

Van Morrison - Saint Dominic's Preview: Released in '72, this is the Irish folk singer's sixth solo album. This album dates from the height of his commercial appeal, following the blockbuster Moondance and Tupelo Honey, and feels more inline with those than his Astral Weeks masterpiece. I recently got this in the 4 for $10 bin at the local store and it's certainly worth it. It's a great laid back sound and one of those perfect records for putting on when you have company whose musical tastes you're unsure of...ie..relatives. 

Crazy Horse - Loose: The second album from Neil Young's on again, off again backup band was released in 1972. This is the first album they made after Danny Whitten was kicked out of the band, and his loss shows. I picked up a White Label promo copy of this record for a few dollars, and it's definitely worth a few dollars, but I wouldn't pay much more. It's decent enough country rock.


No comments:

Post a Comment