Friday, March 6, 2020

Fiction Friday (100)


One of the fun things about working at a library is the random book encounter. This comes from checking things in, glancing at the return carts, or skimming the shelves. Last week I came across this little gem in just such a fashion. I was curious about the small trim size, removed it from the shelf, and recognized the wonderful artwork on the cover. This translated French novel is a Mommy Dearest for the contemporary teen and a kindred spirit to my own books written during the same time.

Like a Thorn by Clara Vidal
(Delacorte, 2008)

Mélie has always believed she has two mothers; rosy mother and dark mother. One kind, one cruel. Since she was a little girl, she has been certain of this duality though no one else seems to see it. She believes it is up to her to ward of Dark mother and begins develop rituals to ward off her mother's harshness, rituals that grow more complicated and all consuming.
The brevity of this book is where it finds its power. It is an intense read, a painful read, a read that makes you feel for the main character, makes you want to be the one who is there for her when no one else is. To be honest, Mélie reminds me a lot of characters I've created in my books. She could be soul mates with Elizabeth (from Tomorrow, Maybe and Thief), with Lacie (from Perfect World), with Sabrina (from Life is But a Dream). 

Mélie was written with the same kind of intensity, and therefore, I'm not surprised to see reader reviews similar to those of my books. Basically, some people are turned off by characters like this. I'm not one of those readers. This is a book that really struck me and will stay with me. And if you are fans of any of those books of mine that I mentioned, I highly recommend reading this.

No comments:

Post a Comment