Saturday, August 4, 2018

Weekend Music Roundup


The first weekend in the last month of the summer! Thank goodness, because I'm melting in this heat. But that's always a good time to find some relief in music. This week is mostly new-ish releases with two older albums that I picked up in the last several weeks. Wide range of music as well, so hopefully there's something here that you might find worthwhile. Enjoy.

The Vines - In Miracle Land: The Australian band's first album in four years is their seventh since they splashed onto the garage rock revival scene 16 years ago. I've dutifully followed each new release in that time span and over the years they've evolved from the Nirvana-esque band of by-gone days into a kind of hybrid of Nirvana and Oasis, which, any regular readers of the Roundup will know, are two of my favorite bands. So what does that combination sound like? Much like their wonderful last album, a kind of throwback 60's psychedelic pop mixed with aggressive garage rock. The result works wonderfully on this album.

John Lennon - The Lost Lennon Tapes Volume Two: I've had this extensive bootleg series digitally for some time and finally came across one of the vinyl pressings recently. It happened to be of one of the better volumes and I snatched it up. These demos span most of Lennon's career, including some from the Beatles era. It was a radio broadcast series done between '88 and '92. Now I just need to find the other thirty or so, and the vinyl collection will be complete.  

Morcheeba - Blaze Away: The first album in five years from the London trip-hop outfit is the band's ninth album in a career that spans over 20 years. Not much has changed as these songs continue to focus on a mellow soulful groove that, as the title might suggest, are the perfect soundtrack for a certain state of mind. "It's Summertime," "Sweet L.A.," "Find Another Way," and the title track are my favorites.

Count Basie - Basie Land: Released in the productive height of his career, this 1964 album from the New Jersey native is text book Big Band at it's best. This was a recent $1 bin find at the local shop, and I rarely turn away jazz records in great condition from the $1 bin. I'm not a jazz snob in the way that I'm a snob in other genres. Perhaps it because I'm not a musician and don't hear the tiny differences that drive others nuts. Or perhaps I simply can get into any jazz groove when I'm in a jazz mood. Another dynamite find for my increasingly swelling jazz section.

Jonathan Davis - Black Labyrinth: The first solo album from Korn singer Jonathan Davis doesn't stray too far from the band's identifiable sound. In many ways, this feels like a Korn album, but it's less ambitious in many ways, and less intricate. The thing that I've always enjoyed about Korn is the dynamic song structure and the fury that seethes under the surface. That seems to be missing on these songs, and Davis' voice is subtle enough to portray the kind of emotion that these songs seem to demand. Not unworthy of a listen or two, but not essential. "Everyone," "Basic Needs," "What It Is," and "What You Believe" are standout tracks.



No comments:

Post a Comment