Friday, August 31, 2018

Fiction Friday (72)


So the long weekend is about to begin and I'm starting it off by beginning to read a new book thanks to having finished the most recent one I was working on. This was a book given to me, something I always a little nervous about, but the idea of little elephant was irresistible. I began it immediately, and was rewarded by a good story by an author I was unfamiliar with, which is always exciting. 


Elefant by Martin Suter
(4th Estate, 2018)

This is the story of a genetically engineered elephant and the people who seek to profit from her existence, as well as those seeking to protect her from them. It starts a little slow, but as the two timelines of the story converge, the story becomes engrossing as it examines the trappings of success and the pressure to succeed. Disguised as a semi-thriller, this is really a book that takes a look at bigger issues like the moral implications of genetic engineering, the role of God, and the way people deal with troubling events in their past. The common thread that weaves through these themes is the tiny miracle elephant that glows in the dark. 

Well written and excellently executed pacing. I felt the characters were a little flat, or not so much flat as they were pretty standard in their views and range. They didn't feel like new and interesting people. That said, I really enjoyed this book, just felt that the writing could have been more profound. However, given that for nearly two decades, I've been wishing for "a really little elephant", this was probably the perfect book for somebody to give me.

No comments:

Post a Comment