Saturday, January 9, 2021

Weekend Music Roundup

 

The first week of 2021 has ended, and many of us have tried the 7-day trial and would like to exchange it for a different version. In the grimness of this week, take comfort in music. As Mad Richard once said, "Music Saves." This week I have a bunch of 2020 albums that I wanted to share before the albums from this year start to be released. Two of these were actually on my best of list, but never got proper reviews...now they have. Hopefully there's something on here that you'll want to check out. Enjoy.


Liar, Flower - Geiger Counter: The new album from KatieJane Garside and Chris Whittingham is their first release under this name, though the duo has released many albums under the Ruby Throat moniker. I'm never quite sure what to say when I review her work because there's always this instant connection that is made between her music and myself, and has been ever since I heard "Love Your Money" back in '91. A lot has changed since Daisy Chainsaw, but I feel that I've changed in similar ways. KatieJane is one of those artists who has helped shaped my creative life and continues to. This was on my Best of 2020, even though I only got it on Christmas. 

 

Kadavar - The Isolation Tapes: The seventh studio album from the Berlin psych rock band came out in the Fall. I've enjoyed every single one of their previous albums, some slightly more than others. On this new record, there's a Floyd space rock vibe that sounds real nice. They've always had a bit of that in their sound, but this album really brings it out. I'm not sure if this is a great album, or just an album that feels really right for me at this particular time. I honestly believe that our connection to an album is strongly decided by the time and place we encountered it. The vibes have to mingle with yours. Any space rock fan is pretty sure to dig this album.

Patricia Lalor - Covers EP: The new EP from the 14 year Irish artist is an indie dream pop gem. Though she has a few EPs out, this is my first introduction to her and her voice is mature beyond her years. This has a Ruby Throat vibe, an acoustic-y eeriness that is just stellar. "Present Tense" (Radiohead) and "My Kind of Woman" (Mac Demarco) are both unbelievably good. I'm really looking forward to checking out some of her other work, very impressive.  

 

Three Queens in Mourning / Bonnie Prince Billy - Hello Sorrow-Hello Joy: Released in July, this is the debut project of three iconic Glasgow indie folk artists. Alasdair Roberts, who I've followed since Appendix Out's debut in '97. Jill O'Sullivan, from Sparrow and the Workshop whose 2008 debut was fantastic. Alex Neilson who was in Trembling Bells, which was another band the Prince teamed up with in the past. Together these guys cover the hell out of Will Oldman songs. There was this movement back in the late 90s and early 00s of Scottish and English folk artists who made albums in the same vein as I See a Darkness, and there were albums from right before that clearly influenced that classic record. These guys were all part of that movement and this feels pretty epic. 

 

Mad Hatter - Pieces of Reality: This is the second album from the Swedish metal band. Anyone who knows me is aware that I'm a sucker for anything Alice related, so when I saw this pop up, I had to give it a shot. This is pretty by-the-numbers power metal with blistering guitar and screeching falsetto. The real draw-back for me was the drums which sound completely mechanical. There are moments on this record that caught me, but they were few and far between. At it's best, it reminds me of Avenged Sevenfold

 

Dead Quiet - Truth and Ruin: The third album from the Vancouver stoner metal band is a collection of fast tempo riffs and growly vocals that are melodic, not screaming. I enjoyed their first album about five years back and I enjoy this one too. It's nothing earth shattering, just good heavy rock. "Of Sound and Fury," and "Forever Unsung" were personal favorites.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment