Thursday, December 26, 2019

Star Wars...The Rise of Skywalker


I have a tradition where I go to the movies right before Christmas. This year was no different as I went to see the new Star Wars movie. I was more excited for this recent movie than I had been for any of the previous four movies (the two from the trilogy and Rouge One and Solo). Perhaps because I knew it would close out the story, and perhaps because I had re-watched The Last Jedi the day before and found that it was better than I remembered.

I knew the early reviews were not so great, but I didn't pay much attention to that. The critics have never really gotten Star Wars and as for the "die hard" fans, well oddly enough, they seem to hate all the movies except for the first two...which makes me wonder why they are even fans. 

Now, I admit that I grade Star Wars movies on a different scale. They're not going to be Best Picture kind of films. I try to look at them the way I would as a child, and by that, I mean, do they spark that same area of imagination that those movies from my childhood did. This one certainly did!

The exploration of the Sith was fascinating. Rey's story has been compelling from the beginning, even more compelling than Luke's in the first trilogy or Anakin's in the second. Of course, it follows a similar trajectory as the first trilogy. My problem with these movies has always been that they feel like an altered retelling of the first trilogy but with different characters. However with this movie, they managed to make everything bigger. There was more at stake. The Dark Side had never been so close to ultimate conquest of the galaxy. Hope was on the brink of blinking out.

This was a completely satisfying end to the Skywalker saga in my opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment