Tuesday, August 13, 2019

Full of Hate...


I've been really looking forward to seeing Once Upon a Time Hollywood and I realized that I still hadn't seen The Hateful Eight. As with most pop culture events from 2015 and the two years that followed, I was busy being a parent who was working full time and going to grad school. So I have legitimate excuses for having missed Quentin's three hour epic, but I rectified that oversight yesterday.

In many ways, this is a typical Tarantino film. It features terrible people who are somehow totally cool. It's extremely violent. It's full of clever twists. And it has great characters who are propelled by colorful dialog. In some ways, the premise isn't much different than Reservoir Dogs. You have characters who are unaware that their motivations are working against each other as they are trapped in tight quarters. 

I loved the old school whodunit feel of how this story unfolds and LOVED Samuel L. Jackson in this movie in a way I haven't loved him in a movie since Pulp Fiction. He was really the center of the movie, the only character really in tune with what was going on. I also loved Walton Goggins (Vice Principals). His partnership with Jackson's character in the last chapter of the movie was a kind of metaphor for the film, that despite learned hatred, in the right (or wrong) circumstances, we can see past that nonsense and see each other for who we are.

1 comment:

  1. It conveys a potent emotion that clouds positivity and understanding. In such moments, seeking empathy and communication can be transformative. Why Game No Embracing compassion and striving for resolution fosters growth and healing.

    ReplyDelete