Friday, August 16, 2019

Fiction Friday (86)


Over the past six months, I've been reading a lot of Middle Grade fiction, mostly because I've felt the pull of that age group's stories for years and have been working on a middle grade novel for the last several months. A couple of weeks ago, I posed a review of the film Mary and the Witch's Flower and discovered it was based on this early '70s children's book, which I immediately requested from the library, and was rewarded with a first edition arriving through inter-library loan with wonderful illustrations by the talented Shirley Hughes. (Yes, I'm a book nerd that cares about things like that).

The Little Broomstick by Mary Stewart
(William Morrow, 1972)



In that magical time when summer has come to an end, but Fall has not quite begun in earnest, ten-year old Mary Smith is sent to the countryside to spend time with her Great-Aunt Charlotte...and it is perhaps the most BORING and dreadful thing that ten-year old Mary could imagine. That is, until she discovers a strange flower, an old broomstick, and a black cat that leads her on the adventure of a lifetime.

The beauty of this story is it's sparse prose and tight narrative. Every sentence is carefully chosen and the result is an unforgettable and timeless tale.





 * The copy I borrowed had the complete circulation card dating back from publication. I love looking over these things. I love seeing that E. Wesselmann checked it out three times over three years. (Yes, I'm a book nerd).

No comments:

Post a Comment