Saturday, December 1, 2018

Weekend Music Roundup


The weekend is here and the Roundup is back. With the holidays, I missed a few weekends, but that just means a few extra ramblings on this list. Though mostly new releases, there's some other discoveries thrown into the mix here. The genres span the spectrum pretty much, with metal, garage, folk, and jazz all represented. In the coming weeks, I will be trying to compile my best of the year list, and as always, it's going to be tough. Until then, keep discovering, keep listening, and enjoy.

L.A. Witch - Octubre: The new EP from the L.A. based all female garage rock band is one of the best discoveries of the year for me. Somehow I missed their debut album last year and picked this up, because, one, I'm a sucker for any band with L.A. in their name, and two, it has the look of the kind of noise rock I like. This is fantastic west coast style garage rock that reminded me a lot of Sweet 75. The only down side is that it is only an EP, so I will now have to seek out the album I missed. Don't miss this one. 

Cat Stevens - The World of Cat Stevens: This compilation was released in 1970 across Europe, featuring songs from Cat's first two albums and other early career work that went overlooked. With the success of "Mona Bone Jakon," his third album, in 1970, Decca saw a chance to sell this work in a new package. I love Cat Steven's early '70s work and grew up listening to it as a young child. These songs showcase his transition from pop folk into more serious songwriting. I found this in the 4 fro $10 bin at the local shop and snatched it up. There are great lost tracks on here including "granny," "here comes my baby," "I'm gonna get me a gun," "kitty," and "the first cut is the deepest."


Phosphorescent - C'est la vie: The seventh album from the indie folk rock band is their first in five years. Much like My Morning Jacket, this is a indie band that draws from country roots to create the kind of folk rock that is has been around for the past decade. This is also one of those bands who I've been waiting for a breakthrough release that fully captures the potential brilliance that seems to exist on each album. And while this album has those elements, it's still not the one I've been hoping for. Lots of great sounds on here and certainly solid.

Moonface - This One's for the Dancer and This One's for the Dancer's Bouquet: This is the fourth album that Spencer Krug (Sunset Rubdown, Wolf Parade, etc.) has released under the Moonface moniker. This seems to be a semi-concept album with a reoccurring theme of songs surrounding the Minotaur and his labyrinth. Despite the concept, this is easily the most accessible of the Moonface albums, with song structures similar to Wolf Parade, his most successful project. I really enjoyed this album, as I've enjoyed all of his albums.

Jelly Roll Morton - Blues and Stomps from Rare Piano Rolls: One of the early pioneers of jazz, Jelly Roll Morton was a unique piano player that changed the way the instrument was played, and later influenced the way it would be used in R&B and blues rock. This collection of early recordings showcases his skills on a number of tracks. I picked thus up for a $4 a few weeks ago and it's a great weekend morning groove to start the day. He had a hipness that is unlike any other.

First Aid Kit - Live from the Rebel Hearts Club: This live EP from the Swedish folk duo was released in the summer and I'm just getting around to listening to it. The live setting showcases their extreme talent, but the weird thing about this live record is that there is zero indication of an audience. It's strange, but not problematic. They play a traditional folk style of music that is beautiful and touching. The version of "Rebel Heart" on this recording is outstanding.

Grave Disgrace - Sabbatharium: This is the third album from the Russian stoner doom metal band and it's exactly the way I like my stoner doom metal. The recipe for me is a heavy undertone with extra-muddled Layne Staley emotion in the vocals that take the listener down a drain into a world even heavier than one the music alone can create. And one thing that I would never criticize a band for, though many do when it comes to doom metal bands, is sounding too much like Black Sabbath.

No comments:

Post a Comment