Thursday, December 20, 2018

Um...Nope!


Over the past decade or so, I've seen this annoying little elf pop up here and there. Seeing as how I didn't have children, I paid no attention to it. I thought it was little more than a game. It wasn't until this season that I learned the purpose of this terrible symbol.

So devilish imp is Santa's spy? Parents move it each night so that kids will think it is real? He's watching kids to make sure they are being good and reporting it back to Santa? That's the basic idea from what I can gather, and I think it's terrible. I get you want kids to behave, and Santa is often invoked to coerce children into behaving, but this goes a little too far. 

Given that we live in a society where we know that we are under constant surveillance, both by our government and many corporations, the last thing I want is to normalize this for my child. I don't want her to accept it and I don't want to make into a game. So this is a tradition that I will never take up and will urge all my parenting friends to avoid as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment