Saturday, November 3, 2018

Weekend Music Roundup


There's no doubt that Autumn is finally here to stay on this wet and chilly day. After Halloween ends, and before Christmas, this is the time when I really like to listen to the kind of music that fits a grey day. With that mood in mind, this week features some new releases and older albums that fit that feel for me. Some favorite artists have new albums on here, some that really surprised me. Hopefully you'll find something worth staying indoors for on the list. Enjoy.

Cat Power - Wanderer: It's been six years since the pioneer indie singer songwriter's last album, but thankfully she's returned with her tenth album. I was expecting something very good, simply because all of her albums have been really good, but this one really grabbed me in a way that her best work has. It so heartbreakingly honest and genuine, the way indie folk rock is supposed to be. "You Get," "Woman," and "Black" are standouts, though honestly, there isn't a bad song on here. 


Richard Ashcroft - Natural Rebel: The Verve frontman's fifth solo album sees a return to his attempts over a decade ago to capture the soul vibe of Marvin Gaye, albeit in a pop rock vein. As a long time devotee to his work, I have mixed reactions to these attempts, finding myself wishing for more of his Britpop roots to show through. Given that, it always takes me a few listens to wrap my head around this direction of his work, which is certainly worthy, just not always my cup of tea. That said, I do enjoy this album. "Birds Fly," "Surprised by the Joy," "Born to Be Strangers," "Streets of Amersterdam," and "Money Money" are my personal favorites. 

The Magic Numbers - Outsiders: It's been 13 years since this London band of sibling pairs released their first album. This past spring, they released their fifth, and while it's still a pleasant indie pop sound that they've always had, they definitely move toward a country rock sound here, or at least incorporate country rock influences. I enjoyed this album and the Fleetwood Mac vibe it gives off. "Ride Against the Wind," "Sweet Divide," and "Dreamer" are my personal favorites.


Count Basie - Basie's Best!: This compilation was released in 1967 and features recordings from throughout the NJ native's long career. This is Big Band music and swings from start to finish. I love his piano work and the crazy rhythms that he produces from the keys. "Red Band Boogie," "It's Sand, Man!," "The Mad Boogie," and "Taps Miller" are my personal favorites.  


The Skygreen Leopards - The Jingling World of the Skygreen Leopards: This new release from the S.F. psychedelic folk band is a compilation of their first two self-released albums from 2001 (I Dreamt She Rode on a Pink Gazelle & Other Dreams and The Story of the Green Lamb & The Jerusalem Priestess). I have both of those digitally, but I'm sure glad this has seen the light of day on vinyl. The band is in raw form, dreaming of a lo-fi psych sound that has gained prominence, but was certainly fringe back then. A great way from people to check out a band that hasn't released anything in four years.

No comments:

Post a Comment