Saturday, November 10, 2018

Weekend Music Roundup (Black & White Edition)



It's the weekend and this time around, the Roundup took on an unexpected theme. As I was putting it together, I realized how many records that were waiting for a review featured Black & White cover art. The range of music goes from hard rock, noise rock, folk, and jazz, but the covers are all colorless. Some new releases on here that I'd been excited for, and some wonderful discoveries as well. Hopefully you'll find something to check out. Enjoy.


Richard Swift - The Hex: One of my favorite songwriters of the previous decade, I was saddened when Swift passed away over the summer. Though he'd been active with The Arcs, this is the first solo release of his work in nine years. It was certainly worth the wait and stands proudly along his best works. Swift had a way of bringing a 70's blue eyed soul sound like Boz Scaggs and combining it with current indie singer songwriter sentiments to create something that was loving, warm, and yet heartbreaking at the same time. "Sister Song," "Selfishmath," and "Dirty Jim" are my personal favorites. 

Marriages - Salome: This the only full length release from the L.A. based noise rock band, though it was released in 2015, it has recently been re-released and I decided to check it out. While listening to it, I thought, "Wow, this is great...it sounds like Emma Ruth Rundle" only to find out that it is Emma! And then I found out that Emma is also the voice of another band that I love, The Nocturnes. There's something about the vulnerable darkness of her work that I find incredible, something akin to Katie Jane Garside (Daisy Chainsaw and Queenadreena). I've really been digging this record and love hearing her voice with more of a noise rock feel. 

Tom Petty - An American Treasure: This boxset was set into motion almost immediately after Tom's death last year and features a wealth of unreleased and rare material. I've always respected Petty's work, even if he's often a hit or miss for me. The songs of his that I love, I really love. The one's I don't love, I still find to be alright. He's always been a poor man's Bob Dylan in some respects, but he owned that and that's what makes it work. There's lots of great stuff on here, but listening to this definitely made me aware of what my Petty limit is. I like him in much smaller doses than this lengthy box set. 

Pearl Jam - Greatest Songs: I've never considered myself a Pearl Jam fan, though they've always had songs that I've liked here and there. They were just too based in classic rock for my tastes back in the day. My tastes have changed over the years, and recently, I've been digging their songs when they come on the radio. This compilation is one of those bootleg comps that have been going around for pretty much every band and I figured it was worth checking out. As it's titled "Greatest Songs" there's no real reason to list tracks, but though I knew there were a bunch I liked, I was surprised by how many great tunes that I wasn't familiar with, and how many more there were that I knew and liked. I was also struck by how much I was reminded of The Doors while listening to this album. 

Charlie Parker - New Bird: Hi Hat Broadcasts: Recorded in 1953, two years before the legendary sax man's death, this captures a live performance from the Hi Hat Club in Boston. Jazz, more than other genres for me, is usually best when recorded live. I think that's because each time, the piece is different. Jazz is organic. There's no wonder why Parker was considered the definition of "cool" with the smooth way he tackles a groove and bends it.   "Now's the Time," "Ornithology," and "Groovin' High" are standouts for me from this set.  


No comments:

Post a Comment