Saturday, June 23, 2018

Weekend Music Roundup


The first weekend of summer is here and if there is one thing I do enjoy about summer (and really, there is only one thing) that is the slew of new music that comes out and the chance to listen all of those albums that create a summer vibe, of which there are many. So keeping that in mind, I've chosen to feature only albums that have that summer feeling for this weekend's roundup. Hopefully you all have some time to sit back and listen to some music. Enjoy.

Black Thought - Streams of Thought, Vol. 1: The first solo release from The Roots frontman is a stellar five song EP that highlights his skills. Black Thought has remained consistent in his 20+ year career, always delivering conscious rap that doesn't shy away from telling it like it truly is. Being a native of the Philly area, The Roots have always been a source of pride for the city and I've always been a fan. This is a strikingly bare EP with minimal beats that showcase Black Thoughts talents. One of the best hip hop releases that I've heard in last few years.



Phantasm - Three Men Make a Tiger: Released late last year, this is the fourth album from the Philadelphia noise rock, post punk band and the first album that I've encountered that captures the creative fury of At The Drive-In. Being from the Philly area, this is a sound that was prevalent in the hardcore scene of the 90s in the area, and it's great to hear it revived and refreshed. "Over and Over," "Say Their Names," "Checkmate," and "Discordia" are among my favorites.




Brian Jonestown Masscare - Something Else: Appropriately, this album isn't named "something new" because the San Fran psychedelic band never strays from the sound they established for themselves back in the mid-to-early 90's. The good news is that the sound they developed is a perfect blend of sunshine psychedelic garage pop that I never tire of. This is among their most focused albums, and easily falls in their top ten or so. "My Love," "Skin and Bones," "Animal Wisdom," and "My Poor Heart" are among my favorites.

St. Vincent - Masseduction: The sixth album from the art pop artist and member of the Polyphonic Spree was released at the end of last year. There are two songs that the local station plays on mass repeat, and it took me a bit to warm up to them enough to want to dive into the whole record. In a lot of ways, she's like a version of Karen O with more of a synth pop mentality, but I can dig that. Aside from the hits, "Los Ageless," and the title track, there are some great tunes on here. "Hang on Me," "Happy Birthday Johnny," "New York," and "Young Lover" are my other favorites. 


Syl Johnson - Diamond in the Rough: The Chicago soul artists fourth album was released in '74 and one I recently came across in the cheap bins at the local shop. I didn't know much about him, but he has that good soul look on the cover so I took a chance and was rewarded with a groovy early '70s soul vibe. Easy to compare to Sly and the Family Stone, or even Bobby Womack. Great nostalgia sound that I can dig, especially on summer evenings. 

No comments:

Post a Comment