Tuesday, June 19, 2018

Going Solo


Last week, I finally made it to see Solo: A Star Wars Story. I will admit that I was more than a little skeptical of this film from the very first news that it was being made. Rouge One was different because it was an expanded universe project and I'm all about the expanded universe. This film was an origin story for my favorite character in the universe and therefore, I was nervous about it. One of the biggest concerns I had was watching somebody else play Han Solo. 

Not surprising, my biggest problem with this movie was the first third as I tried believing this guy was Han. I was also not so into the story of the first third, but once Han was off on his own, flying solo, the movie picked up for me. Woody Harrelson was the highlight of this film, in my opinion. He made the perfect Star Wars character. And by half way, I was able accept the new, younger Han. 

I enjoyed this film, but it was more of a space caper movie that followed the blockbuster format rather than a Star Wars format. That was disappointing, but acceptable. I just wished it was more steeped in the rise of the Empire. There were flashes of that, especially with the Join the Empire propaganda that showed up, but I wanted more of it. A solid okay, but in the future, I hope they chose to do more movies like Rogue One instead. They could easily bring in some Clone Wars characters, which I was sort of hoping they would do here.

No comments:

Post a Comment