Saturday, September 28, 2013

The Past Becomes the Present


After the big rewrite project I recently completed, I'm ready for a change of pace. This past week I started the first chapter of my next manuscript. I wanted to write something younger, and something funny. So I'm returning to fifth grade memories for inspiration, hoping to chronicle that year which is still one of the more vivid years of my life. 

The inspiration for the story came from looking over several pages that I'd written a few years back. It was a few months ago when I found the story and read it, really enjoying the mood. But it wasn't thought out, which is probably why I abandoned it in favor of something else way back when. This time I went about it with a completely different approach, trying to create a very different book than the ones I've written before. And once I had that clear in my mind, I spent time thinking about what would happen during the course of the story and outlined the first few chapters.

I'm really excited to work on this. It's really the first time I'm writing a children's novel that is based on autobiographical material. I'm very interested to see how it will turn out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment