Saturday, September 7, 2013

Hazardous Life


Beware all those who wish to become writers. There are times when you will come to hate the story you once loved. Working on a manuscript will often feel like playing a game of she-loves-me, she-loves-me-not as you go from one page to the next wondering if you've made some terrible mistake. It's not an easy relationship to pursue, yet you feel compelled to work at it, waiting for that moment when it all clicks together. Those rare and perfect glimpses are the reason you endure. 

Over the past few weeks, I've fallen in and out of love dozens of times. Now as I reach the end of a major rewrite, I can hear my characters whispering for me to remain calm. "Don't worry," they tell me. "We will do you proud in the end." Despite my better judgement, I'm starting to believe them.

No comments:

Post a Comment