Saturday, July 13, 2013

Walking in Wonderland


Recently I've been busying myself with the revisions of a Middle Grade manuscript that I wrote about two years ago, and while I love revisiting stories and enriching them, it's definitely the "work" aspect of writing. Most writers will admit that this isn't their favorite part of the process. The part we love is the creating of the stories and the weaving of the narratives that make those ideas come alive. 

So, it goes without saying that while revising my manuscript I've also been daydreaming about other stories I want to write. The stories come in little snippets of observation, lines from song lyrics, and encounters with strangers. These elements start to piece themselves together on their own, forming characters and plots. I find it's always better to let a story come together over time rather than sitting down and trying to figure out what to write about. That never works for me. 

The added benefit of working in this manner, it gives me motivation to finish those edits. 


No comments:

Post a Comment