Thursday, November 29, 2012

While You Were Dreaming



The other night, I woke up in the dark and discovered the power was out. The near full moon had already set, leaving everything in pitch blackness. As I stumbled down the stairs, reaching for the railing and trying not to miss a step, I started to think. Thinking is always a dangerous thing at 4am.

There's was no obvious reason for the power loss. No wind, no snow, no lightning. And perhaps I've been watching too much apocalyptic television of late, but I started to wonder, Is this it? Is the power out all over the world? Is tonight the night when electricity ceases to exist? 

I sat in bed for about ten minutes considering the possibility and planning what I would do. What fascinated me was the actuality that it might be true, not that I believed it to be, but given the situation, it was a possibility. This relates back to a post I wrote last week and this idea that we wait for the big things to happen. We know history has no shortage of curve balls to throw our way. At certain points, every lifetime is marked by something big. It was interesting to consider being in the midst of such an event.

The power came back on at 7am. Nothing shattering on this night, but you never know what is around the corner.

No comments:

Post a Comment