Wednesday, September 14, 2011

The Place Where Stories Collide


Last week, I spent a lot of time doing one of the things I love most in the world--flipping through fictions. At least that's how I see the time spent in book stores or record stores. The images and descriptions, covers and illustrations, jacket flaps and song titles all collide in my mind to form a collage of converging imaginations that I've always found inspiring.

As much as I enjoy the treasures I walk away with, I also find the search rewarding. I don't get that same experience shopping over a computer. Sure, I find what I want, but I don't feel any interaction with the imaginations contained within the work. My belief that a world without record stores or book stores would be a dull one has once again been confirmed.

2 comments:

  1. Used tp spend untold hours in book shops, but I must say I find browsing on Amazon just as satisfying to be honest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that a world without record stores (I miss albums) or book stores would be a sad place. I already feel the loss of Borders. I preferred it to the other chains. Don't have an indie nearby.

    I just wanted to check out your site as you commented back to me at I Swim For Oceans. Having a mental illness myself, I'm extremely sensitive to how it's portrayed in YA. I'm looking forward to the release of your novel.

    Heather

    ReplyDelete