Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Weekend Music Roundup (Sorrowful Soundtrack Edition)

I missed the weekend roundup this weekend. I was away, doing a children's book signing, so that's a pretty good excuse I think.

I did want to do this week's list a little different. Given the rough week I had last week, I spent most of it listening to sad music because I find sad songs to be comforting. So I put together a list of my favorite sad albums.


Elvis Perkins - Ash Wednesday: One of my favorite albums of all time, this one is tinged with sadness throughout.  "No one will survive, Ash Wednesday alive. No soldier, no lover, no father, no mother...not a lonely child." 


John Frusciante - Curtains: The last of the six albums John put out in 2004 and most definitely the saddest. He has a way of expressing the hurt of sorrow better than most. "There's so many careless angels responsible for me. They give me disease, They give me a pain in my neck to feed off me, saying pay us the cost and we'll be gone."

Jackson C. Frank - s/t: A folk album from my neck of the woods, made in the late '60's. It really has this lonely, gray day in the cold woods feeling. "The ghost of her, It floats over there. And the smile, the smile, It seems so lonely."  

Songs: Ohia - Didn't It Rain: Really any of Jason Molina's work would fit here, but this is the one I listened to this week. It's music that exists somewhere between here and the world where ghosts live. "When I die, put my bones in an empty street to remind me of how it used to be, Don't write my name on a stone, bring a Coleman lantern and a radio, Cleveland game and two fishing poles, And watch me from the shore." 

The Jayhawks - Tomorrow the Green Grass: This one isn't obviously sad like the rest, but it is so full of regret that in a sad mood, it's heart wrenching. "Didn't you feel so wise for awhile? Didn't you feel that your ship had arrived."

Bonnie 'Prince' Billy - I See A Darkness: As the title suggest, this album is heartbreaking through out. " And did you know how much I love you? Is there a hope that somehow you, You can save me from this darkness?" 





No comments:

Post a Comment