Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Weekend Music Roundup

So, I know it's not officially the weekend but I'm on vacation for a long weekend...so it's still the weekend for me until tomorrow. Here's the music review for the week, better late than never.

Gliss: Devotion Implosion - Around this time last year, I was in L.A. and picked up Gliss's last album at Amoeba and upon one listen they became my new favorite L.A. band. This album does absolutely nothing to change that. 

Richard Swift: The Atlantic Ocean - Richard has been one of my favorite singer/songwriters of the past 4 or 5 years. His last album was spectacular and the series of eps since have been great. This album...not so much. Despite being named for my favorite ocean, it just seems a little off. It sounds like a Richard Swift album, but with some unfinished "things" going on throughout. I add it here, but if you don't Richard Swift, you should.

Julie Doiron: I Can Wonder What You Did With Your Day - Yes, I did get this because there's a CatKid on the cover (I'm not above admitting to choosing things by their covers). This is a solid album. Sounds like early Catpower. Nothing you haven't heard before, but a nice mellow listen for the workday.

Pete Doherty: Grace/Wastelands - Okay, so I'm a Pete fan. I think he's mistreated by the 'loids and brilliant songwriter. Babyshambles is great, but I was worried about this solo effort. No need to worry. It's amazingly low-key and a great piece of storytelling.

Mando Diao: Give Me Fire! - the newest release is more diverse than their previous. There's a lot of range on this one, from the usual Britpop sound to songs that would fit a '70s hard rock abulm.

Radio Moscow: Brain Cycles - I enjoyed their first album when it came out two years ago. A very '70's guitar hero kind of album, but seemed to be lacking something. Like their Alive Records label mates Buffalo Killers, this second LP delivers on what the first one lacked. A clear progression from the first and a much richer album. 

Boston Spaceships: Planets Are Blasted - This Robert Pollard's (of Guided by Voices) new project. Sounds like GBV, but a little more structured which isn't necessarily a bad thing. A good rock record...something there are too few of these day.
 
Natural Snow Buildings : The Dance of the Moon and the Sun - This is the real find this week. It's 2 hours and 30 minutes of drone folk heaven. Even with it's length, I've made time to listen it to 4 times in the past week. I can't wait to get their newest (which runs over 6 hours). They are like a slightly mellower Jackie O Motherfucker, with more singing. 
 
Edan: Beauty and the Beat - The one hip hop selection to make it onto the list. Intelligent rhymes and great beats and I think it will take a few more listens before I'm ready to declare it a hip hop classic.

Benimie Oynar Misin: Bulent - Turkish folk singer/songwriter from the 70's. Not so very different American counterparts, but just as good.

No comments:

Post a Comment