Saturday, June 5, 2021

Weekend Music Roundup

 

It's the weekend once again! Last week, I went to an annual record fair that happens in my corner of the world and picked up a bunch of eclectic vinyl records which I will share over the coming weeks. I've also been listening to plenty of new releases while working in the art studio. This week's list represents a little of both. Hopefully you'll find something of interest. Enjoy. 

Royal Blood - Typhoons: This is the third album from the UK duo who has a mix of blues rock meets alternative dance, much in the vein of another duo, Death from Above. This is their first album in four years, following one of my favorites of 2017. Therefore, I was very excited about this one. From the opening tracks, this album kind of rocks. This is certainly nothing groundbreaking, but there are few bands out there that do this sound right and these guys are one of them. A really great high-energy rock album. 

Coral - Spoon: The debut album from Swedish dream folk artist Miranda Coral is a beautiful laid back surprise. When I saw it, I assumed it was The Coral and was at first disappointed that it was not. However, when I stopped to listen, I heard something quite enjoyable. She reminds a bit of Holly Miranda and this is one of those albums that feels like a novel. A very relaxing ride that I recommend taking. 

Queen - Sheer Heart Attack: For the longest time, I was convinced I didn't like Queen. It was while watching Bohemian Rhapsody that I realized a lot of the songs I thought I hated were really just songs I'd heard too many times. I've since listened to and really loved their second album, "Queen II". This is their third album and came out in '74 and dynamite glam rock album. "Killer Queen" is probably the best known song on here, which is fair since it pretty much sums up their sound on this record. I can certainly hear it's influence of Scorpion's "Virgin Killer" released two years later. A classic for a reason. 

Runt - Runt: Todd Rundgren's 1970 solo debut after the departing Nazz. Over the past half-decade or so, I've gotten into Nazz and Todd in the way I always like to support Philly bands. I found this for $5 and snatched it up. It's super groovy, blending the Nazz psychedelic pop with the emerging pop rock sound that would come to dominate the next several years. "We Got to Get You a Women" is total blue-eyed soul that Bozz Scags would come to emulate. "Who's that Man" is a Elton piano jammer. There's a freshness and confidence of youth that blazes up and and down the track list. A total banger of a record. 

Pearls Before Swine - One Nation Underground: The '67 debut from the psychedelic folk band. For years, I've known their '68 - '70 albums that followed and enjoy them. I was pretty excited to come across this one for a few dollars. It was a little beat up, but a good cleaning took care of that. This one might even be more in my wheelhouse than their later albums, more acoustic Floyd or Velvet Underground demo style. This is a magical album that blends a lot of different folk and folk rock styles into a mellow void of a dreamy afternoon of uncomfortable visions. 

 

Portugal. The Man - Oregon City Sessions: Recorded in 2008, this live session was just released by the band, their first release of any kind since 2017's breakout album Woodstock. This period of the band is one of my favorites, right as they are reaching their peak and exploding with creativity. The set list features many of their best songs, and is probably meant as album to reach some fans that only discovered them shortly after with their Evil Friends album, while also pleasing long time fans.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment