Saturday, May 1, 2021

Weekend Music Roundup

 

It's the weekend, and there's been a few warmish days of late, those beautiful late spring kind of days that borrow from the best of summer without the worst of it. Perhaps because of that, and because my listening taste always seems to match the weather, this list features all albums that capture different aspects of that vibe for me. Enjoy.

Will Oldham - Songs of Love and Horror: Released in 2018 to coincide with a book of his lyrics, these are new recordings of old songs that date through his career. These are stripped bare, just Bonnie "Prince" Billy and his acoustic guitar. It captures what I've always loved about his work, and reminds me of some old Palace material and The Amalgamated Sons of Rest project with Jason Molina and Alsadir Roberts. I've been listening to album at night before bedtime, and it's been pretty perfect. And much like the Pond Scum album, it delivers in making songs you love sound completely new and let you love them all over again.

The Antlers - Green to Gold: This sixth album from the NYC indie band comes seven years after their last album. This is band that I've always enjoyed, but also found to be a bit pretentious to the point that prevented me from ever loving their work. This one is different. The time spent on this album definitely shows and there is a maturity to this record, a deep sense of honesty that connects with the listener. "Stubborn Man," and "Just One Sec" are two of my favorite songs they've every recorded. 

 

Super Natural Psycho - Rendezvous With the Sun: The 2018 release is the second and most recent album from the NYC psych rock outfit. Despite the name, this is of the mellow psych variety, and quite awesome too. I went into this album not knowing anything about them, but liking the cover and checking the rating. I really enjoy the vibe on the record and feel it's going to get a lot play during my summer.

Tyrannosaurus Rex - A Beard of Stars: Released in spring of '70, this was the last album before they shortened their name to T.Rex for the next album released seven months later. This is the album where you can hear Marc Bolan embrace the glam rock style that would come to define his career. It's the transition album from psychedelic folk to the T.Rex sound and it's brilliant. I've always loved transition albums, albums where artists are finding their sound. This is one of those records and it's a great addition to the collection. 

Fanny - Mother's Pride: The early '70s pop glam rock band out of California was unknown to me until a video of June Millington shredding on guitar popped into my feed. Two days later, a visit to the local shop found this in their newly acquired bin. It's one of those funny coincidences where five days before, I would have flipped right past. There's definitely a west coast pop rock feel to this, but in the best kind of way. I love the way there always seems to be a little bit of sunshine in most California bands, there's just something magical about that region that invades the psyche. 

Built to Spill - Keep it Like a Secret: Released in '99, this was the fourth album from the Boise indie band, and the album that first introduced me to them. Perhaps because of that, it's always been my favorite record of theirs. It's one of those albums I've had on CD for decades and have kept a look out for on vinyl. I was fortunate enough to come across it at the local shop a few weeks back and knew I had to buy it. Having not listened to it in several years, it took me right back to that summer in NYC the way few albums can.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment