Saturday, April 24, 2021

Weekend Music Roundup

 

 

It's the weekend once again, which it's time to ramble on about music. I've recently been taking a different approach to my digital music listening. I primarily listen to new digital music in the art studio, and I've been trying to limit myself to a handful of albums at a time and making sure I give them multiple listens (for those that warrant it anyway). I've heard some great new albums of late, and have also dug out quite a few nice finds at the local shop. All in all, the spring has been pretty good for music in my world. Enjoy.

 

Pop Levi - Juicy Diamond: This is the fifth album from the UK via LA glam pop artist. I was first turned onto his music thirteen years ago when his debut singles "Pick-Me-Up Uppercut" and "Blue Honey" were my jams. Despite consistent quality, he's never reached real mainstream attention, and that's too bad, especially as this is probably his most complete work to date.  "Time Bomb," "D.U.I.," "Tia" and "Faces" are personal favorites on here, but it's truly great from start to finish.

Middle Kids - Today We're the Greatest: This is the second album from the Sydney indie band and my first introduction to them. This has a dream pop sound, soothing and intriguing and very well done. There's something about this that reminds me of 90s indie in a totally awesome way. Elements of Helium and Aimee Mann blend with a contemporary west coast sound. "Cellophane (Brain)," "Lost in Los Angels,""Summer Hill," "Stacking the Chairs," and "Run With You" are my personal favorites on this classic sounding album. 

David Vandervelde - Shadow Sides: This is the fourth album from the Nashville artist and was released back 2014. I dove into this not knowing his work, but being attracted to the title (not to mention Dr. J on the cover). There's a real emerging psychedelic sound coming out of that city. There's this re-imagined '70s psychedelic soul vibe on this album that I really dig. "Strange Goodbyes," "When You're Not Around," and "Soon" are personal favorites on a pretty cool record.


The Rapture - In the Grace of Your Love: The 2011 album is the forth from the NYC band, and their last to date. This was one of my favorite bands of the 00s, a fresh dance punk sound that evolved into a psychedelic dance sound by this record. I recently came across one of the 1,000 pressed vinyl at the local shop and snatched it up. I hadn't listened to it a few years and it was brilliant to hear again. "Miss You," "Come Back to Me," "Never Gonna Die Again," "How Deep is Your Love," and the title track are personal favorites of mine. 

Mondo Generator - Cocaine Rodeo: The debut album from Nick Oliveri's band, initially a side-project of the band he was in then (Queens of the Stone Age), was released in 2000. It's more punk than the stoner rock of QOTSA, and fed his need to express that anger. Understandably, this resembles 90's metal punk bands like Tad. This album is fast and furious, and is one of the most rocking punk albums I've heard in a long time. I skipped getting into this band when they came out, and I'm glad I did. I wouldn't have appreciated it then, it just wasn't what I was into. In my teens, I would've dug it. And now, I can appreciate it for what it is...quality anger.

Kansas - Masque: The third album from the prog rock group was their second album of '75. One of reasons I believe this band was more popular, and less respected, than a lot of prog rock bands has do with the fact that there remains a heavy influence of blues rock. In my opinion, they are more of a hard rock band with prog elements than a true prog band. This is a grooving album with some real great 70s rock songs. My favorites being "Two Cents Worth," and "Icarus - Borne on Wings of Steel."

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment